Thousands of truck wrecks occur every year across the United States. Unfortunately, Houston, Texas, is not immune to these motorway disasters. The US Department of Transportation reports that 14.2% of big truck fatalities occur in Texas. This figure is a troubling 10% more than other states.
18-wheelers and other big rigs can cause significant collisions and severe damage to property and health. The bigger the rig, the bigger the problems. Several factors can be to blame for a truck accident. Determining liability will depend on causal factors. It is only then that you can begin the process of seeking your due compensation.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
According to one of the best vehicle injury attorneys in Houston Texas, due to the immense size and weight of big trucks, and the fact that most of these commercial trucks carry tons of cargo at high speeds, they pose a high-risk situation for any motorist around them. Some causes of truck accidents are natural, but some are because of human error, and often these accidents are fatal and people tragically end up losing a loved one, in that case, you need to contact a winning Houston accidental death attorney like Joe Stephens.
The top causes of truck crashes include:
- Driver fatigue, drowsiness, or substance abuse: A tired and overworked commercial truck driver is less alert and distracted. Even though the FMCSA enforces Hours of Service to prevent driver fatigue, it still occurs. Many truck drivers are on the road for hours at a time to deliver their cargo without delay. Falling asleep behind the wheel poses a severe risk of the rig swaying, colliding with other vehicles on the road, and causing accidents.
Drivers who operate a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs are also slow to respond to a situation. They are more likely to suffer from impaired vision and motor skills while driving.
- Loading errors: It is crucial for an 18-wheeler and other big trucks to follow proper loading protocols. Even though there are strict loading limits, many companies overload their vehicles. Overloaded rigs are at risk of tilting over, straining the vehicle’s brakes and mechanics, and altering the speed of the truck while on the road.
- Weather conditions: Many truck accidents can occur due to slippery roads, icy and stormy weather, and heavy rain. Drivers need to follow road safety rules. The fleet companies also need to help map delivery routes that don’t put the driver unnecessarily at risk of adverse weather conditions and climates.
- Vehicle maintenance issues: According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, brake and tire issues account for 35% of trucking accidents.
- Other: Other causes include speeding, inadequate driver training, tailgating, and more.
Houston Best Truck Accident Attorneys
Call an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyers in Houston
If you or your loved ones have been in a truck crash, you need a top rated truck accident injury attorney in Houston like Joe Stephens, . We can help you through this challenging time and determine your best course of action.
Joe Stephens Law Firm has more than 30 years of experience in settling hundreds of truck accident and injury cases across Houston. Whether it is due to the trucker’s negligence or a motor defect, you will get compensated. Call today.
We Handle Truck Accident Injury Cases in These Houston Areas
Trucking Industry & Truck Driver Resources