Trailer Joined to Commercial Truck Swings Aside
All motor vehicle accidents cause damage, but the results are even more devastating when big trucks and tractor-trailers are involved. In the US, more than 4,000 accidents are caused by large trucks every year, and approximately 3% of those are caused by jackknife accidents.
If you’ve been involved in this type of truck accident, you need a lawyer immediately, a trucking collision attorney in Houston Texas to help you receive the maximum compensation. Here’s what you need to know after going through the distressing ordeal of a truck wreck.
What are Jackknife Accidents?
A jackknife truck accident occurs when the trailer attached to a commercial truck swings to the side and ends up in an L or V shape with a 90-degree angle between the cab and the trailer.
Jackknife accidents can occur anytime on any highway or motorway in Houston and can cause serious damage to smaller cars and other vehicles on the road, especially when the truck accident blocks multiple roadways and lanes.
How Do Jackknife Accidents Occur?
Some of the largest big rigs and tractor-trailers can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. This makes it very difficult to drive on motorways and extremely risky while turning slippery roads, and sudden speed variations.
A jackknife truck accident with an 18-wheeler or any big truck can happen to anyone, anywhere. Some common causes include:
- Speed and braking: If a driver slams down on the brakes after driving at high speed, the vehicle can lose control and cause the trailer to swing out. 18-wheeler trucks require a lot of power to run and often carry very heavy loads. A truck wreck can be caused when a vehicle comes to a sudden stop or has faulty brakes.
- Distracted drivers: Truck drivers need to be especially attentive and observant to their surroundings and anticipate what’s to come on the road ahead. A truck accident can occur due to external hindrances on the road that the driver did not see or if the driver was using a cell phone while driving. 80% of truck crashes occur because of driver inattention.
An intoxicated driver poses a very serious threat to the roads and can cause a truck crash.
- Weather conditions: The loss of friction on a slippery road poses a serious threat to big trucks. Big rig drivers should be aware of icy roads along the way and any climate they need to prepare their vehicles for.
What Type of Damage Can a Jackknife Accident Cause?
If you or your loved ones have been involved in a jackknife truck wreck, you need a trusted lawyer to receive compensation for your injuries. Some possible injuries you may have include:
- Brain injuries like concussions
- Damage to the back and spine
- Crushed limbs and broken bones
- Internal bleeding and injuries
- Death of the drivers, passengers, and other persons involved
Houston Jackknife Truck Accident Attorney
Call an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyers in Houston
Medical assistance and property damage from jackknife truck accidents can lead to outrageous expenses for you. Many claims can be difficult to prove and pose a strain on your mental health and wellbeing. At the same time, the chances of losing life in this type of truck accident are very high, if this is your case with someone you know, contact a winning negligent death attorney in Houston like Joe Stephens immediately.
Joe Stephens, a vehicle injury law firm in Houston, can do the hard legal work for you, so you can focus on recovery. He’ll prepare a case for you and fight for your compensation in court. Get in touch with The Stephens Law Firm to discuss your case with our legal team and begin the claim filing process.
We Handle Truck Accident Injury Cases in These Houston Areas
Trucking Industry & Truck Driver Resources